Trekking to Makalu (8463m), the fifth highest mountain of the world, is a travel dream for many trekkers. Makalu Trek is a challenging trek at altitude to the famous mountain of the world through the less traded path. This trek allows you to appreciate the god gifted beauty of the surroundings. It is difficult to navigate the path of Makalu trek yet it offers the unforgettable adventurous experience for the trekkers. It takes to the heart of the Makalu Barun National Park the base camp of Mt. Makalu. Makalu Barun National Park and Conservation Area which was established in 1992 and is located in the Solukhumbhu and Sankhuwasabha districts, Barun valley, wonderful views of world's highest mountains, including Everest (8,850m), Lhotse (8,516m), Makalu (8,463m), Chamlang (7,319m) and Baruntse (7,220m) are some of the major attraction of Makalu trek. Wide ranges of flora and fauna, wildlife, dense forest with endangered Clouded Leopard, Red Panda and Musk Deer, along with the hospitality behavior of the local inhabitants make this place a natural paradise and give the heavenly pleasure. Arun valley, the deepest valley of the world, which is the dwelling of many species, is also another highlight of the Makalu Terk. In Arun valley you get the opportunity to see the rare bird Spiny Babler which is found only in Nepal.
Makalu Trek begins with the flight from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar. The trail of Makalu trek passes through Makalu Barun National Park following the Arun river valley. This trek offers the beautiful cascading down of the rivers and waterfalls, the view of the rugged mountains and blossoming of the colorful flower and fascinates the trekkers. Ascending from the Arun River valley, you pass through Sedua and Num and enter the upper Barun Khola Valley from where you get the close-up view of the fifth highest mountain of the World, Makalu. The destination of Makalu trek is the base camp of Mt. Makalu. The trek is an opportunity to explore the varieties of culturally and ethnically rich people like Rai, Limbu, etc. The best season for trekking is autumn and it is a camping trek.
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu
Day 02: Full Day Kathmandu sight seeing Tour
Day 03: Kathmandu to Tumlingtar (360m, and 45 minutes flight)
Day 04: Tumlingtar to Khandbari (1020m)
Day 05: Khandbari to Chichila (1840m)
Day 06: Chichila to Num (1500m)
Day 07: Num to Sedua (1540m)
Day 08: Sedua to Tashigaon (2070m)
Day 09: Tashigaon to Khongma (3560m)
Day 10: Khongma to Mumbuk (3550m)
Day 11: Mumbuk to Yangle Kharka (3600m)
Day 12: Yangle Kharka to Merek (4570m)
Day 13: Merek to Shersong (4660m)
Day 14: Day Trip to Makalu Base Camp (5000m)
Day 15: Trek back to Yangle Kharka.
Day 16: Trek back to Mumbuk.
Day 17: Trek back to Khongma.
Day 18: Trek back to Tashigaon.
Day 19: Trek back to Num.
Day 20: Trek back to Chichila.
Day 21: Trek back to Mani Bhanjyang.
Day 22: Trek back to Tumlingtar.
Day 23: Fly back to Kathmandu.
Day 24: Fly to Final Destination
- All domestic flight, hotel/airport transfer
- Deluxe Samsara Resort or similar category hotel at Kathmandu
- All ground transportation by private vehicles
- All accommodations in tents and all meals during the treks no extra charge for single travelers
- Down jacket, 4 seasonal sleeping bag (down jacket and sleeping bag are to be returned after trip completion)
- Welcome & farewell dinner
- All porter ages costs
- All cost for a Ecological Treks leader(First Aid and Eco trained English Speaking) and sherpa, a sherpa assistance leader(s) and assistance Trek leader help each individuals while on trek
- All necessary paper works and permits
- Travel & Rescue arrangements
- Exclusive Medical Kit Bag
- Portable Altitudes Chamber (PAC) for safety measures
- All government and local taxes if necessary.
- Nepal Visa fee (bring accurate USD cash and two passport photographs)/ International airfare to & from home city
- Excess baggage charges
- Lunch & evening meals in Kathmandu
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses e.g. phone calls, laundry, bar bills & extra porters
- Tips for guides and porters.
- Optional trips and sightseeing if extend